At A Family and Sports Chiropractic, we want you to know that scoliosis is not a disease, it is simply an abnormal, sideways curvature of your spine. Typically a spine is straight when viewed from behind, but when scoliosis occurs, the spine will curve in one of these ways:
- To the side as a single curve to the left, also known as levoscoliosis
- To the side as a single curve to the right, also known as dextroscoliosis
- To one side, then to the other like the letter “S”
Scoliosis will often be diagnosed in adolescents and teenagers typically between the ages of 10 and 18.
In diagnosing scoliosis, medical professionals search for:
- An abnormal curvature of the spine
- Shoulders that are uneven or protruding
- A stance where one hip is higher than the other
Once detected, the doctor will monitor the condition to make sure that the curvature does not become more severe. It is important to know that additional treatment is not typically required if the curvature is at 20 degrees or less.
If you suspect that you or someone or someone you know is suffering from scoliosis, or if you have questions about how it will affect your life, contact a chiropractor in Vancouver WA today. Click here to read about Dr. Chani Henderson.