There are several factors that have been show to contribute to failed back surgery syndrome. Many surgeons will follow these procedural steps to help ensure a good outcome.
Prior to surgery:
- Treat patients in a non-operativemanner first. Physical therapy can be utilized first. For most people, this can help reduce pain, and in some cases help avoid surgery
- Make sure that the patient has received the correct diagnosis. Many back conditions can mirror each other, but might have entirely different treatment plans.
- Provide a thorough pre-operative evaluation
- Make sure the surgery is the right one for the patient.
- Make sure to appropriately educate the patient, discuss expectations, outcomes, and pre-operative psychological evaluations.
During the surgery:
- Make sure to take proper precautions to lower the chance of intra-operative issues.
- Keep a close watch on the patient’s postoperative recovery.
- Make sure that any postoperative pain is effectively and appropriately managed.
- Stay in touch with the patient’s care team. This might include; physical therapists, occupational therapists, and primary care doctors.
Surgery is not always what is best for the patient, but sometimes it is the only option for pain relief. If you are suffering from chronic pain, consider a chiropractor in Vancouver WA that will exhaust all of your possible treatment options to ensure the best possible outcome. If we cannot offer you the perfect treatment plan, we will help you find someone who can!
Click here to contact us today.