Let’s face it, pain happens! Whether we want it to or not, everyone suffers some level of pain at one time or another in their lives. That said, some experience more pain than others.
To help combat that pain, you can use gel ice packs and moist heat packs. These handy little gadgets can help you improve your quality of life with only 20 minutes of use a few times each day. If you don’t have any of these, you can make your own!
Today we are going to provide a tutorial for creating your own at home from Sprine-Health:
Homemade gel ice packs
What you need:
- 1 quart or 1 gallon plastic freezer bags (depending on how large you want the cold pack)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol
- Fill the plastic freezer bag with 1 cup of rubbing alcohol and 2 cups of water.
- Try to get as much air out of the freezer bag before sealing it shut.
- Place the bag and its contents inside a second freezer bag to contain any leakage.
- Leave the bag in the freezer for at least an hour.
- When it’s ready, place a towel between the gel pack and bare skin to avoid burning the skin.
- An alternative filler is simply to use dish soap, which has a gel-like consistency and will also freeze/retain the cold.
Homemade moist heat packs
What you need:
- Cloth container (sock, small pillow case, fabric)
- 4-6 cups of filling (e.g. uncooked rice, flax seed, buckwheat, oatmeal)
- Needle and thread (optional, but recommended)
- Flair (ribbon, fragrant oils; optional)
- Fill your cloth container with the filling.
- Tie or sew the container shut.
- Add soothing aromatherapy before you microwave, if you want.
- Microwave container for 1-3 minutes.
Regardless of whether or not you are using cold or heat therapy, remember not to apply them for over than 15 minutes at a time. Also, remember not to apply the ice directly to your skin because of the danger of an ice burn.
If you have any questions about icing or applying heat to your painful area, don’t hesitate to contact us at A Family and Sports Chiropractic Clinic in Vancouver WA. We can make sure that you receive the best chiropractic care in Vancouver WA! Click here to read about what to expect from your first appointment with us.