If you are an athlete, you likely know how important chiropractic care is to your health and performance. Some experts actually estimate that 90 percent of world-class athletes all over the globe see a chiropractor regularly to increase their performance potential and prevent injuries.
At Family and Sports Chiropractic Clinic, we know how people make the assumption when someone visits a Vancouver WA chiropractic clinic, they are doing so for problems with their back or neck. That said, treatments involving athletes muscular-skeletal system in adult athletes can help maintain performance and prevent injuries.
We recommend that you consider regular athletic chiropractic care if you are in one of the following categories:
- Adult athletes who take part in competitive sports (football, baseball, softball, basketball, hockey, etc)
- Athletes who consistently train for performance sports (marathons, races, long distance biking, mountain biking, hiking, swimming)
- Athletes who regularly work out at the gym at high intensity
- Gym parents whose children or teenagers participate in regular athletic activity
- Athletes revisiting competition for the first time in a while
- People who take part in high-level exertion activities like Crossfit
- And many others!
Here are a few ways that athletes and non-athletes can benefit from seeking sports chiropractic care:
It can ease the punishment the body takes while participating in sports.
Many athletes will swear by the positive effects visiting a chiropractor on a regular basis in terms of their personal successes. This is because athletic performance has been correlated with factors like strength, speed, flexibility, and coordination.
It can help treat a variety of sports injuries.
There are many different benefits from receiving chiropractic care for both athletes and non-athletes, and one of them is recovering from injuries. These injuries can be sustained during high-impact sports such as wrestling, football, and hockey. This is beneficial because research has shown that high-impact sports can place the same amount of strain on the body as an auto collision. When athletes invest in getting routine adjustments, they might notice improved athletic performance, increased range of motion, better flexibility, increased blood flow, and may even suffer from fewer injuries!
It is a non-invasive and drug-free treatment for injury and pain.
When an athlete seeks chiropractic care for their back and neck pain caused by taking part in sports, a trip to the chiropractor could help them recover without the need for painkillers or invasive surgery.
Here are four methods that are often used to treat athletes:
- Active Release Technique where massage and stretching are combined with moving the effected joint through a range of motion.
- Graston Technique that uses stainless steel tools to break down scar tissue.
- Functional dry needling where deep trigger points are focused on to release tension in the muscles through stimulation.
- Electrical muscle stimulation to release tension towards the surface of the muscle using contraction caused by electricity.
It can help prevent injury and enhance performance.
Any chiropractor who specializes in the treatment of athletes should remember the importance of treating the whole person. Comprehensive treatment plans should be individualized and aimed at injury avoidance. An athlete’s initial evaluation should include the following:
- Traditional orthopedic tests
- Neurological examinations,
- Additional diagnostic evaluations if needed
It helps decrease pain.
The spine is a physical structure that contains pain-sensitive tissues. These consist of joints, muscles, nerves, discs, and ligaments. When there are any abnormal alignment patterns within the spinal column, athletes can experience pain. Chiropractic adjustments have often shown to perform better than other medical options in reducing the intensity of acute low back pain. Athletes will also often notice a restoration in normal function in both short-term and long-term effects.
Even though you don’t have to be an athlete to benefit from regular chiropractic care, there are many ways that seeking help from a chiropractor could help athletes fare better in their sport of choice.
When you visit a Vancouver WA chiropractic clinic, you can be sure that you will receive high-quality chiropractic care, whether you are an athlete or not. We just want you to be the best you possible! Contact us today to get started!