With the weather heating up, many people head outside for a variety of activities. Seniors might be tempted to throw worry to the wind and get out in the sun for some fun, but they should know that seniors are more susceptible to summer time injuries. Because of this, your Vancouver WA chiropractic clinic wants to remind seniors to take some time to prepare for the dangers that come with the changing of seasons.
With the summer heat comes the need to do yard work, gardening, and other strenuous outdoor activities! It is important that seniors remember to take care of themselves while working outdoors to not overdo it!
Here are a few injuries that outdoor activity can bring about in seniors and how to avoid them:
- Joint stress or cramps: Avoid these by stretching, taking a warm up walk, and choosing the right tools prior to taking part in gardening or yard work activities. Experts suggest investing in strong, ergonomic, and lightweight tools with rubber handles to help avoid unnecessary pain. It is also a good idea to break up tough tasks and take breaks in between them to avoid injury.
- Back and neck pain: To ensure that you do not do any unnecessary twisting or tweaking, place tools, plants, and anything else you might need within reach. Remember to always lift with your knees to avoid back injury.
- Sunburn: Avoid those nasty and painful burns by applying sunscreen regularly while outdoors.
- Pokes and cuts: You can avoid those nasty pricks from thorns, branches, roots, or other pokey garden things with a pair of heavy-duty gardening gloves.
- Stroke, sunburn, and dehydration: To protect yourself from overheating, consider doing the bulk of your gardening in the early morning or evening. If you must do your work during the day try to stay in a shaded area and invest in a good hat to help shade you. It is also important to stay hydrated by drinking water and taking regular breaks.
- Trips and falls: This is a big one since falls in the elderly are often linked to death and injury. There are many hazards outdoors in the summertime that can cause you to fall. Hoses, rocks, cracks in the pavement, and branches, to name a few. You can prevent these falls by making changes in your environment such as reducing household hazards, beginning an exercise program to improve balance and strength, and having regular health screenings to monitor medications and changes in vision.
If you do find yourself experiencing some of these aches and pains, here are a few ways that your chiropractor in Vancouver WA can help:
- They can determine if your joint pain and cramps are a result of overuse or a more serious injury.
- They can help you reduce your pain.
- They can teach you some important stretches and techniques to avoid future injury.
- They can perform adjustments that may treat your back or neck pain.
- They can help you heal from a more serious injury and work hand in hand with your doctor.
- They can help you develop a personalized treatment plan to hopefully help you find relief.
- They can give you tips for avoiding falls or other things that might lead to injury.
Whether you are a family member or caregiver of a senior or an older adult, taking these basic steps from your Vancouver WA chiropractic clinic, you can enjoy a safe and fun-filled summer! For more information about geriatric injuries, contact Family and Sports Chiropractic Clinic!
Dr. Chani Henderson can’t wait to help you enjoy this beautiful season!