With the kids back to school, we decided that now is a good time to educate our clients on some of the most common conditions that can be treated by a chiropractor in Vancouver WA.
Pain affects everyone at different points in their life, and at Family and Sports Chiropractic Clinic we want to help alleviate some of this acute or chronic pain.
The three most common types of pain that we see at our clinic are postural strain syndrome, headaches, and low back pain. Today we will walk you through each of these issues and share some advice to help you avoid them!
Postural Strain Syndrome and Chiropractic Care
Postural Strain Syndrome (PSS) is a condition of the lumbar spine that causes pain in the lower back despite any significant trauma or damage to tissue.
People suffering from PSS will only experience symptoms during activities that place sustained stress on the area. This commonly occurs during sustained poor posture.
The main symptom of PSS is a dull ache in the lower back region and occasionally the addition of pain in the upper back, shoulders, or neck that occur when standing, sitting, squatting, or lying down.
Usually the pain associated with this condition will quickly ease upon moving or changing positions, thereby taking the strain off the affected structures.
Headaches and Chiropractic Care
These headaches can range from occasional to frequent, and dull to throbbing, some even causing debilitating pain and nausea.
So, what do you do when you suffer from a pounding headache?
Do you suffer through it or pop a pill?
Your first thought after a headache is likely not to make an appointment with your chiropractor, but research shows that spinal manipulation may be one of the most effective treatment options for tension headaches and headaches that originate in the neck.
Today, Americans engage in a more sedentary lifestyle than in the past, and more hours are spent in one fixed position or posture. This can cause and increase to joint irritation and muscle tension in the neck, upper back and scalp. All of these behaviors can cause your head to ache.
What Can You Do?
- If you are spending large amounts of time in front of a computer, on a sewing machine, typing, or reading, take a break and stretch every 30-60 minutes
- Use stretches to take your head and neck through a comfortable range of motion
- Take part in low-impact exercise to help relieve the pain associated with primary headaches
- If you are prone to throbbing headaches, avoid heavy exercise
- Avoid clenching your teeth, as this can lead to temporal mandibular joint irritation and a form of tension headache
- Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day to help avoid dehydration
Lower Back Pain and Chiropractic Care
Muscle strain: Strain occurs when muscle fibers are stretched or torn. Sprains happen when ligaments are torn from where they are attached. It is important to note that strains and sprains have similar symptoms, so diagnosing one versus the other can be difficult.
Lower back pain: Pain occurs for many reasons, below are a few common causes.
- Improper lifting: When you lift objects that are too heavy or when you lift with improper technique, you may experience back pain. This is actually the most common cause of temporary back pain, as well as more serious back injuries. Men are especially vulnerable to lifting too much or lifting incorrectly because they may be embarrassed to ask for help or may have jobs that involve short bursts of extreme effort.
- Sports injuries: Almost 20 percent of all sports-related injuries occur in the lower back or neck. This is because repetitive activities like running or weightlifting often affect the lower back. Classically male-dominated sports like football often cause injuries to the neck.
- Work-related injuries: Even the most safety conscious work environment can put your back at risk. It is impossible to prevent every injury. Improper posture and putting too much effort on the back muscles strain the back and lead to pain.
Your chiropractic doctor may do one or more of the following if you suffer from any of these conditions:
- Perform chiropractic adjustments or spinal manipulation to help improve spinal function and alleviate stress
- Provide nutritional advice, helping to pin point foods that might be causing headaches
- Offer advice on using correct posture through ergonomics, exercises, and relaxation
If you or your child notice any of these common issues, seeking a chiropractor in Vancouver WA may be your best bet for meaningful improvement. Not only do we take the time to understand the underlying cause of the pain, we get to know your life and determine if any of your environmental, behavioral, or nutritional experiences could be causing your Postural Strain Syndrome, headaches, or lower back pain!